Thursday, February 25, 2010

Lent Day 7: It's (only) been one week

Today was jam packed, sadly, no homework involved. God was certainly involved though, and that made it great! Woke up for prayer early despite the late night- God must really want me there- (here I am, up late again). The day was good, you showed yourself powerful in chapel, once again. I went to lunch and got to eat with Phil and discuss Furious Love (an amazing documentary about how God is moving throughout the world, bringing the light of love to darkness), it was so edifying. I always knew there was something different about him, now I know it's you God. Talking with Charlene afterwards was great- just a time of confession as we both spilled things we struggle with- Lent is bringing a lot of my deficiencies to light. Later on I got to go see Beauty and the Beast performed, it was nice to get off campus and see some acting (decent, but not drop-dead amazing). That's not the point though. The point is that I saw "real" people, the kind who buy a bottle of beer during intermission and drink in a circle, chatting with their friends. There was this one guy who caught my eye. No reason really, just a suit jacket with elbow patches, longer hair, interesting glasses, and a confident strut. Not the type of guy you would see on our campus though. I stood on the balcony above, watching their group for a little bit, just wondering what it was like- do they feel empty inside, do they know better and brighter things? I wanted so badly to bring light to their world, to know what it is like inside of their heads, in their lives. After the play I went over and talked to him (I had been staring at his glasses and turned to my friend, commenting on them, I didn't want him to think I was one of those people talking about him right in front of his eyes). I asked if I could try on his glasses, he asked if I was feeling lucky (not sure why). He swore a bit, just part of his vocabulary, it's weird how we even speak a different language. How could I despise him for his speech though? It would be akin to despising a native for speaking the most naturally in their own tongue. I chatted with him for a bit, I hope I brought something to him, though after my guy friends said I was flirting, as we rode back to campus, I don't know what kind of light I brought. So that's the thing with this Lenten sacrifice- I can still have the wrong motives- I can initiate something with someone and not mean a thing, and I can accept an invitation but have the most sinful motives. It's hard, but it may be getting easier. After I returned from the play I ran into some girlfriends from my core last year, we went to Wal-Mart together, it was so enjoyable, just chilling with the girls, I thank God for our time together (he knows when I need to spend more time with girls)!

Started 2nd Samuel today what always stands out is the love Jonathan and David had. When David heard of Jonathan's death he said; (2 Samuel 1:26) "I grieve for you, Jonathan my brother, you were very dear to me. Your love for me was wonderful, more wonderful than that of women."
What is that like? How can I be a friend like that? It is something I intend to discover, but for now I think I will go share some intimacy with my pillow!

No comments:

Post a Comment