Saturday, February 20, 2010

Lent: day 4 "God is TOO good"

Today was going well enough, like most every day of mine, then it changed. I went to Lip Sync, I was working the curtain (part of my illustrious student government job, lol), the show was great, but there were so many people. When I'm around too many people for too long, well, life can get a little weird.

I come back to my dorm and really wanted to call up some of my friends and hang out with them... incidentally they were guys... which I am sacrificing initiating stuff with. I tried to think of clever ways around this sacrifice, nothing. I was a bit frustrated, so I grabbed my guitar and went out to my usual spot and played. After a bit I thought it would be nice to walk- towards the woods would be good. As I was walking I decided to take a shortcut because someone was walking on my original path (don't really like to broadcast my guitar playing). I was praying that I would just run into someone good to talk to, a silly prayer- well, not even a prayer, more wistful thinking than anything. Who runs down the library stairs as I walk past but Phil Smith? Hmmm, I noticed it was really him and said hi, he was going to McDonald's and asked me if I needed a ride anywhere or anything. I said I'd just go with him to McDonald's,he bought me a caramel sundae (my favorite!) the line was moving slowly so we got to talk. It was good- he's such an uplifting friend- I love being with him because he knows stuff. I like it when people are perceptive enough to be like that, perhaps it's because we are so similar in some respects. I don't know if I've ever met such a nice, thoughtful guy- and I know plenty of nice young men. So after that uplifting experience I headed back out to the woods feasting on an ice cream sundae. My fingers were getting a bit cold so I decided to walk through our student center. Something colorful carches my eye on the table, I walk over and pick it up "I am with you..." it says, with a verse about encouraging each other below it. Hmmm, must be something left behind by a group from lunch... Bong, pool balls clash into each other and I decide to walk through the dark and deserted Fireside. I go in there and am heading to a chair when I realize it is not deserted- three people are in here- three guys. One person stuck out to me, my jaw may have dropped- this was the guy I had wanted to see. Another started teasing me because I had my guitar on me (I always rib him about taking his everywhere he goes), the other guy was one who I had went to hear worship at 4 in the morning. What an odd group- and what an odd place to be. They said they thought they'd check out the cougar den- (at the same time as me?)- they said they were here to pick up chicks. I look over my shoulder and around (I am the only chick) we all laugh at the silliness of such a joke. It was good to see friends.

But I don't understand- God answered my prayers- except I didn't even pray them. They were just things I needed. God is so good- he gives me more than I deserve, He knows what is good for me and never fails to provide. Who is this God that loves me so much.
I had to ask myself some questions and think some things...

As if the cross weren't enough
As if that sacrifice
could not suffice
it paid the price
still there's life
and a hole in it to be filled
as that hole is filled I see
your love is still alive

Sometimes giving Him 40 minutes of alone time is tough- but in the end always the most rewarding thing I could do. May I always choose Him first and foremost.

No comments:

Post a Comment