Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Lent Day 5: Crazy Day, learn to PRAY!

Hmmmm... today was one of those days- the crazy kind- but not crazy hectic or horrible, no, none of that: it was crazy good! I did wake up with a bloody nose, it was actually quite scary, the way it was coming out in gobs- and if I leaned my head back it would go down my throat and I would cough up blood. I just wanted it to stop so I could go to prayer. I was on my bed, kind of waiting it out, when I realized I could pray. I cried out to my healer, and he heard and stopped my bloody nose (got to prayer meeting just in time). Then my class that I was concerned about giving a prose reading in got canceled due to the beautiful snow!(also an answer to prayer) and then Benjamin Baker spoke at chapel today- about prayer.

Prayer has been a constant thought in my mind lately; something I'm striving to do more of. Dr. Baker said something (several somethings) that made me think: could it be if we just learned to pray we would learn all other things and fulfill our calling? He spoke of how he was lifter, liberator, savior, and source- basically everything- no, totally everything- so why don't we call on his name more? He said prayer shouldn't just be informational but transformational. We should pray because we are hungry and need to eat. Interesting thoughts- I told myself I would pray more today.

I did my 40 minutes with Jesus today, kind of different this time though. I was doing my devos, but I was so tired I couldn't keep my eyes open or recite my bible verse, so I fell asleep halfway through. I re-did/finished my devos later, reading through Romans, and it is such an amazing book, I thank God for the ways he speaks. For some reason I was so convicted and brought to prayer by reading Romans (I don't know if I read it for 20 minutes, but I couldn't go on) I got down on my knees and cried out to God. Time flew by like a rocket, and God was so present, his glory everywhere, I was brought so much nearer to Him. It's weird, crazy actually... no, I reckon it's just God working.

This verse stuck out to me, it's Romans 8:13
For if you live according to the sinful nature, you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the misdeeds of the body, you will live
If we let sin rule in us we die if we let the Spirit put the sin to death we live. So sin=death but death by the Spirit=life -- a paradox, but so sensible.

I want to be so close to God that I know Him by His first name...

watched "Furious Love" tonight- so much to think about...

No comments:

Post a Comment